Keeping your lawn maintained is an important part of having a beautiful home, but spending time every week pushing a mower can be more hassle than it’s worth. While it’s definitely a significant investment, a smart lawn mower can make taking care of your lawn easier and far more convenient. Go through a simple installation process, set your mower on a convenient schedule, and sit back and relax as your robotic trimmer does the heavy lifting.
Below, we compare the Husqvarna Automower 430x vs. 450x. Is bigger always better when it comes to maintaining a carpet-like lawn? Or will the 430x edge out the competition despite being significantly less expensive? The answer may surprise you!
Husqvarna Automower 430x vs. 450x — About
Husqvarna Automowers represent some of the top-of-the-line smart mowers that help give you a carpet-like lawn through maintaining your grass rather than mowing it. This may seem like a matter of semantics, but what sets the Automower apart from traditional lawn mowers is the fact that it trims a little bit on a frequent basis rather than cutting your grass all in one go. This means that your lawn will always stay the perfect length, and the minuscule cuttings from each trim will help fertilize your lawn and keep it healthy and beautiful. Add in a smart sprinkler controller like the Rachio vs. Netro, and you’ll have the perfect recipe for a lawn that takes care of itself.
The Husqvarna Automowers are built to last, and can navigate lawns of any complexity — dodging around obstacles and handling slopes like a champ. Silent operation allows you to mow day or night, and you can issue commands from the comfort of your couch using the Automower Connect app.
There are a whole host of features that combine to make Husqvarna one of the top manufacturers on the market when it comes to smart lawn mowing. The unique cutting system is effective and reliable, and while it’s definitely a financial investment, you’ll likely find that it more than pays for itself just with time savings alone. With a product backed by 20 years of development, you can rest assured that your lawn is in good hands.
Husqvarna Automower 430x vs. 450x — Things in Common
We’ll get into what sets each mower apart from the other below, but let’s kick things off with the things that they have in common. You’ll get an excellent smart mower regardless of your choice, and there are a number of features that work together to keep your lawn trimmed to the perfect length, 24/7.
Let’s start with Automower Connect. This utility gives you full control of your smart mower from the palm of your hand. Through the handy smartphone app, you can easily send start, stop, and park commands as well as adjust any relevant settings such as schedules or switching profiles. This app is also required in order to receive alarms and track your mower’s position should it happen to be stolen — more on that below! Automower Connect with a 10 year mobile data contract comes standard on the x line, so you’ll have access to it with both the 430x or 450x. If you decide to opt for a less expensive model like the 310 or 315, however, you can purchase the data contract as an optional add-on should you want access to the features on a more mid-range model.
The main advantage of Automower Connect compared to the more basic system of Automower Connect @ HOME is that you’ll be able to control your mower from wherever you can get a data connection rather than relying on the limited range of. Bluetooth.
Getting your Automower set up to more your lawn is incredibly easy, but what if you want to share the love and loan out your mower to a family member or friend? Fortunately, both the 430x and 450x include support for profiles — allowing each user to save their settings individually and making for a seamless transition between different yards. With each user setting their own custom scheduling, the Automower will cut on a regular basis, up to 7 days a week.
Spot cutting is another useful feature standard to both models. While a regular schedule will generally keep your lawn looking its best, there are occasionally areas that need a little extra attention. Whether it’s under garden furniture or in a spot that’s just outside the operating range of the mower, you can simply set your mower down and select “spot cutting mode” to prompt your mower to mow in tight spirals. After it’s trimmed that location down to size, it will automatically resume its normal schedule to take care of the rest of your lawn.
If you’re unhappy with the length of the grass that your Husqvarna mower is trimming, you can easily take advantage of electrically operated height adjustment to easily make your lawn shorter or keep some extra length. The ability to mow on slopes of up to 40% also ensures that your smart mower can clean up even the most challenging lawns, climbing up and down hills like a pro.
One of the advantages of the X-line that separates it from base models is its support for GPS-assisted navigation. The GPS capabilities of the 430x and 450x allows it to create a detailed map of your lawn; with the ability to keep track of the specific areas that it has already covered, your Husqvarna Automower will cut efficiently and avoid backtracking needlessly. Another useful smart feature is the patented Weather Timer, which will adjust the frequency of cuts based on your lawn’s growth patterns — increasing cuts when your grass has plenty of water and scaling back in drier conditions.
When you combine automation and sharp, spinning blades, it’s understandable that safety might be a concern. With the Husqvarna Automower, however, you can rest assured that your hands will be protected with lift and tilt sensors that will stop the blades immediately should the device be picked up. To ensure that strangers don’t try to steal your smart mower, your 430x or 450x is also equipped with a loud alarm that will sound when it is picked up and will only turn off with a specific PIN is entered. The alarm should deter theft on its own, but the GPS location tracking will also help you keep an eye on your mower should someone remove it from your property. It’s also great for keeping track of your little lawn robot should it be passing among friends!
The best smart features in the world don’t mean much if the mower itself isn’t built with quality materials and capable blades, and you can rest assured that the Husqvarna Automower 430x and 450x will give you an excellent cutting result — each and every time. Weatherproofing also allows your device to weather the elements, and the electric power reduces emissions and makes for a silent operation that can keep your mower running at all hours of the night. The flexible electric charging station placement gives you plenty of choice as to where you want to set up your Husqvarna’s “hub,” but the low energy consumption should minimize the time that your Automower needs to spend topping itself off.
Husqvarna Automower 430x vs. 450x — Differences
- Difference #1: Remote Object Detection – The GPS-assisted navigation ensures that your mower should be able to cut your lawn pretty accurately each and every time, but what if you happen to leave a lawn chair or other obstacle out in the lawn without realizing it? The 450x uses ultrasonic technology in order to detect objects, and once it senses an obstacle it will lower speeds in order to avoid hard collisions.This is a definite advantage that the 450x has over the 430x, as you won’t find the feature in the latter. If your lawn doesn’t have any obstacles that need to be avoided, you probably won’t need to worry too much about remote object detection. It’s useful in pretty much all cases, however, as even the most careful homeowners might occasionally leave something out in the yard.
- Difference #2: Working Area Capacity – There’s little worse than purchasing a new smart mower only to find that it can’t cover the entirety of your lawn. The Automower 430x can over an area of up to 0.8 acres.If you have a larger home, the 450x might be the superior choice with a 1.25 acre range.
For large properties, the 450x just can’t be beat, and it represents the top-of-the-line model from Husqvarna.
- Difference #3: Ultra-silent Drive – While both motors function via electric power and are relatively quiet, the 430x actually pulls ahead in terms of noise levels due to its support for Ultra-silent drive.The wheel motors on the 430x have 2 step gearboxes, which is a new technology that drastically reduces perceived noise levels. This makes it the perfect option for night time or 24/7 operation in all kinds of neighborhoods.
Both systems are pretty quiet, but if you’re looking for a truly silent model, the 430x takes the cake.
- Difference #4: Spiral Cutting – While the 450x may cover more ground than other Husqvarna models, the 430x will actually give you a more consistent cut due to its support for Spiral cutting.Spiral cutting refers to an automatic trimming functionality enabled by cutting disc sensors. These sensors detect when the mower enters an area with higher grass, and will switch cutting to a spiral motion in order to ensure a carpet-like look across your entire lawn.
For a consistent cut each and every time, your best bet is the Husqvarna Automower 430x.
- Difference #5: Mow Time on One Charge – The wider radius of the 450x would be wasted if it ran out of juice before it finished the job, and the greater distance is backed up by a greater running time of 290 minutes on a single charge. The 430x has a significantly shorter mow time of 145 minutes, which makes it best suited for smaller or averaged sized yards.If you have a large property, it’s likely you’d opt for the Husqvarna 450x by default just due to the larger mowing area. That radius combined with the extended mow time, however, truly make it the clear choice for any yard of a significant size.
- Difference #6: Backlit Keypad – The ultra-silent technology on the 430x makes it easy to operate your mower day or night, and entering your PIN to adjust settings after dark is also much easier due to the backlit keypad.The 450x, unfortunately, does not feature a backlit pad, making it much better suited for operation during the day — especially considering the fact that it’s a decent bit louder than its sister product.
- Difference #7: Guide Wire – Because the 450x covers a larger mowing area, it makes sense that it would have a longer distance to travel to get back to its charging pad. The primary way that Husqvarna mowers navigate back to their hub is through guide wires, and the 450x features triple guide wires which reduce the searching times even for large, complex lawns divided into several areas.The 430x features dual guide wires which also do an admirable job at reducing search times for the charging hub, but the technology starts to fall short when average increases.
- Difference #8: LED Headlights – Adding yet another feature to the 430x that makes it a breeze to operate after dark, the LED headlights serve to increase visibility and control at night.Using energy-efficient bulbs, your 430x will make itself easy to track even in pitch black conditions — ensuring you never lose track of your mower, day or night.
The 450x does not have any LED headlights, which may be a deal breaker for those who were hoping to trim their lawn overnight.
- Difference #9: Replaceable Top Covers – If you’re making the investment to purchase a Husqvarna Automower, wouldn’t it be nice to give it your own personalized flair?The 430x offers support for replaceable top covers, available in both polar white and Husqvarna orange. While it doesn’t necessarily allow you to make your mower completely unique, it does offer more coloring options keep your smart mower trimming in style!
Husqvarna Automower 430x vs. 450x — Comparison Chart
|Husqvarna Automower 430x (2018)||Husqvarna Automower 450x|
|Automatic passage handling& — PATENTED||Yes||Yes|
|Automower® Connect @ HOME||No||No|
|Easy height adjustment||Yes||Yes|
|Electric height adjustment& — PATENTED||Yes||Yes|
|Excellent cutting result||Yes||Yes|
|Flexible charging station placement||Yes||Yes|
|GPS-assisted navigation& — PATENTED||Yes||Yes|
|Graphic menu display||Large-Sized||Large-Sized|
|Guide wire& — PATENTED||Dual||Triple|
|Lift & Tilt sensors||Yes||Yes|
|Remote object detection||No||Yes|
|Low energy consumption||Yes||Yes|
|Manages slopes||up to 45%||up to 45%|
|Remote start points x3||x5||No|
|Replaceable top covers||Yes||No|
|Theft protection by alarm/PIN code||Yes||Yes|
|Theft protection by GPS||Yes||Yes|
|Unique cutting system||Yes||Yes|
|Weather timer& — PATENTED||Yes||Yes|
|Battery voltage||18 V||18 V|
|Battery capacity||5.2 Ah||10.4 Ah|
|Typical charging time||50 min||60 min|
|Typical mow time on one charge||145 min||290 min|
|Power consumption during cutting||N/A||35 W|
|Working area capacity (±20)||0.8 acre||1.25 acre|
|Maximum incline within the working area||24 °||24 °|
|Maximum incline inside working area||45 %||45 %|
|Maximum incline at boundary wire||15 %||15 %|
|Keypad||19 buttons||19 buttons|
|Extra blades||9 pcs||9 pcs|
|Staples||0 pcs||0 pcs|
|Sound level Guaranteed||58 dB(A)||59 dB(A)|
Husqvarna Automower 430x vs. 450x — Accessories
While your Husqvarna Automower 430x and 450x will do an admirable job right out of the box, there are some additional accessories you might want to consider to enhance the functionality of the mower or make it more convenient.
Both mowers are built with durability and weatherproofing in mind, but if you really want to keep that beautiful finish on the exterior of your smart mower, the Automower 400 Series House Kit can keep your system protected from the elements and sun damage alike. Your mower should function well even without the housing, but if you’re hoping to keep your Automower beautiful for years to come, it may be worth the additional investment.
Finally, when it comes to storage, the Husqvarna Automower Wall hanger gets your mower up and off the ground — freeing up valuable space in cramped homes and garages.
Husqvarna Automower 430x vs. 450x — Our Thoughts
While it may be tempting to always opt for the latest and greatest when it comes to new technology, this is a rare case where we feel that the Automower 430x is actually the superior product.
With features like a more silent operation, spiral cutting, a backlit keypad, and LED headlights, it’s generally a superior mower overall.
The Automower 450x is close behind with cool features like object detection, and is clearly the superior choice for larger yards. But if you have a lawn that is small enough to fall in the coverage area of the 430x, we strongly recommend opting for that model. It’s significantly less expensive, and has enough features for it to become clear that it’s the better product for all but the largest lawns.
If you’re looking for an Automower with many of the same features that is a little bit less expensive, consider taking a look at our Husqvarna Automower 310 vs. 315 comparison for a look at some other top products in the smart mower scene.
Last update on 2023-05-24 at 19:56 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API